Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Policy
Last updated April 5, 2022.
We are steadfast in our commitment to being diverse, inclusive, and equitable and to valuing and honoring the unique qualities, wisdom and lived experience of all people. We will invest in opportunities to foster diverse, equitable and inclusive communities, where all are able to meaningfully contribute and thrive.
Definitions of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are as follows:
- Diversity – includes all the ways in which people differ, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, spiritual or religious beliefs, gender identity, sexual orientation, disabilities of mind or body, nation of origin, age or individual characteristics, life experiences and personal values and perspectives.
- Equity – ensuring fair treatment and equal opportunity for all people while providing support where barriers have impeded the full participation and success of some groups and individuals.
- Inclusion – voices and perspectives of all individuals are encouraged, and every individual has a sense of belonging.
The Emerald Communities Board of Directors will regularly review its own policies and practices to ensure its actions support its ongoing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Executive Director of each subsidiary community will lead the development of a plan to implement this policy and annually report to its Board on the implementation of that plan and how they committed to and invested in DEI. The report should address:
- Opportunities sought and activities undertaken to increase the diversity, equity and inclusion of residents, employees and the greater community.
- Steps undertaken to ensure that all current and prospective employees, residents and anyone on our campus is treated with respect.
- Development of and progress on measurable objectives.
- A plan for reporting back to residents and employees.
- A plan for the following year for the implementation of this policy.